Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Baby Matthew - Birth story

This is a very much delayed blog entry but I thought I'd better get down to writing something before I return to work and everything gets even more busy!!

Well, my second son, Matthew entered our world on 14 March 2011!! I still recall that Monday morning, when I woke up at 7am and went to the toilet, I saw blood in my urine. I guessed as much that was an indication of delivery already. My hubby had already gone to work and only my elder boy and helper were still at home. I called my gynae who advised checking my self into hospital already. So I proceeded to call my hubby to inform him and I also called my in laws. By 8am, my father in law came over to wait with me for my hubby to return home so that I can go to the hospital while he fetched my older boy to their house. This time round, I actually did not feel any strong contraction pain, so I was quite thankful for that!! By 9.30am, I was already in Mt. Alvernia hospital and proceeded to their delivery ward to be checked and observed by the nurses and mid-wife.

I requested for epidural and waited for the anesthetist to come. This time round, my epidural took quite long to be completed. Somehow, the guy had trouble poking through my spine in a lying down and curled up position. In the end, I had to try sitting up and bending over holding some pillow. You could not imagine how worried and scared I was feeling, wondering if anything might happen to me. Well, thankfully it worked this time and the pain relief kicked in. Then came another scare....the nurses put me on some sort of drip that supposedly speeds up the contractions or make them more efficient so to speak. The first time they administered that, my baby's heartbeat dropped suddenly! They immediately stopped it and even got me breathing through an oxygen mask so as to give the baby more air or something. They tried to calm me down but I could not help worrying after that. Luckily, all was fine and baby's heart rate went back to normal. Eventually, the drip managed to work and the mid-wife continued to check on my dilation. By 1329 hours, I delivered Matthew after some pushing and the vacuum help. So there was our little boy, weighing at 3.125kg and 52cm tall :)

I held him for a while before the nurses wheeled him off for checks and clean up etc. This time, I also stayed in a single bed room instead of double bedder. Really wanted to have more privacy. I guess it helped as it got really noisy when Kendrick and my other family members came to visit me in the evening. Well, that's the birth part. When it came to discharge day, I was also worried about my baby's jaundice level. Luckily, it was passed and I was able to bring him home on the same day of discharge. From then, starts a really 'challenging' but fulfilling time looking after Matthew. I'll update that in the next blog :)