Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, December 7, 2009

Playgroup Class Day 1

Today marks the 23rd month of Kendrick and also the first day of him attending Playgroup Class at Totsville Montessori Centre :) The centre agreed to let Kendrick try out class for 2 weeks in December at half month's fees, before deciding whether or not to continue for the rest of the year in 2010. So here we were on this Monday morning. The night before, we explained to Kendrick that he would be going to school and playing with friends and Teachers without Mummy or Daddy being around. I wonder if the talk helped. When I brought Kendrick to class today, I sat in with him for a short while before disappearing quietly without him noticing.

As I watched from the window outside, Kendrick surprisingly adapted fairly well to the class and teachers. It was only when he turned and spotted me standing at the window did he suddenly realise I was not around and called out for me. I quickly darted away from his view and I could tell that the teacher managed to distract him. This happened a few more times when Kendrick again caught me viewing and disappearing in a short while. I must say that for Day 1, I'm quite proud of him that he did not really bawl in tears and cry uncontrollably. He did cry for a very short while and was calmed down by the teacher. Of course, this is just the first day. We'll have to see how he behaves in the next few days!

As I observed the rest of the class, Kendrick seemed to be able to fit in quite well as he played some of the games, stood around when singing songs and dancing, and sat at the table when it was time to do a bit of drinking water and colouring. Today was also one of the classmate's 2 year old birthday. I was told there would be a celebration around 10.30am, so it was only by that time that I re-joined the class in the celebration. Kendrick was happy to see me again and even came to hug me and stick close to me. Tried my best to get him to sit with his little friends but I guess once I'm around, it was a bit harder :)

Now just hope that the rest of the 2 weeks will go smoothly. Certainly don't know what to expect once I go back to work on Thursday....

The morning starts off with free play
The teacher opens up this tunnel like toy and I was happy to observe that Kendrick actually crawled through it himself :)
This is part of the music and movement segment. The kids just sing songs and do some simple dance. Older students from the work group join the playgroup toddlers at this point
After the music and movement, the playgroup class will settle in for some phonics and story telling
Kendrick had a bit of colouring time before the break. Although I did not manage to take the photo, the toddlers were actually attempting to colour the shape of the day. After that, was it was one of the student's birthday celebration, so all the kids gathered together, including the work group kids. Kendrick is looking so serious...haha..
While trying to get a shot of the kids, Kendrick stood up as he wanted to walk towards me instead of sit down

We finally left the place at 11am and my little boy was still happy and cheerful. Hope that he will remain strong physically too. God Bless Kendrick!