Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Playgroup Trial Class

I've been contemplating whether to enroll Kendrick in playgroups to get him to interact with other children. Being the only young kid in the family so far (since both Dear and my family side don't have any other young kids around), Kendrick has been able to interact with adults well but not so with children his age. In fact, he is kind of shy and more introverted especially in bigger groups. So anyway, I've been searching around for possible playgroup locations near my home. I've even went to check out those playgroups that are held at RCs. No doubt it's quite cheap at $130 - $150 per month, but the one which is near our home, seems quite dark and the class quite rowdy. The teachers also seem very 'chinese' educated.

Anyway, I finally chanced upon this newly set up playgroup (daily from 9am - 11am) which came into operation at Bishan since August 2009. The place is called Totsville Montessori Centre. The pictures seemed presentable enough so I called and they offered a free trial session. So off we went and overall, I guess I quite like the environment for being clean and bright. In addition, the class is small at the moment, so I think it may be better to let Kendrick try out in a smaller group before considering anything bigger. Of course, not everything I observed is ideal, but I guess you can't have the best of everything. As long as it's overall acceptable, I think it should be ok. One more concern I had was that it's Montessori style. I'm not sure if this method is good, but since it's merely a playgroup, I thought why not? Let them learn through playing might be good for a start. Finally, I also worry about Kendrick falling sick more often, once he starts playgroup, but I can only pray that he will be strong!

Anyway, there are still some issues I'm working out at the moment, but ideally, we hope to le
t Kendrick start a month's playgroup in November before they break for the school holidays. If we can't make it for November, then possibly next year. Hopefully he will be able to adapt!

Kendrick tries out scooping beans from one bowl to another. He could actually do it quite well at first! Then later he purposely poured some beans out. The little girl nearest to him seemed to look at Kendrick quite a bit. Ha Ha..

During the 'circle' time or Music and Movement segment, Kendrick ran off quite a few times as he's not used to all these. Anyway, here's once instance when the teacher says hold hands with a partner. It's the little girl again! The picture is blur, but still thought it's kinda cute to see Kendrick looking shy...
When it was reading time, Kendrick actually plonked himself on the teacher's lap, just like how he does at home with us! Haha..thought that was quite funny...
A bit more playing time. Kendrick actually wanted to explore all the toys more and was not used to the structure yet.
Snack time! All the little toddlers sit at the table to have their snacks
Kendrick eats the little piece of bread & cheese that Mummy made for him :) Glad that he ate so well by himself!