Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Follow-up checkup with PD

This morning I brought Kendrick to Mt. A for the follow-up checkup with the PD for his jaundice. Thankfully, the doctor checked and told us that he's quite ok, jaundice level is not that serious already. Just need to sun-bathe him a bit each day. Quite a relief as I certainly do not wish for Kendrick to be admitted to stay in hospital again! So these couple of days, his Ah Gong will help bring him down in the morning for some sunshine!

Anyway, I also wanted to comment that I am feeling the toll of the night feedings. Kendrick somehow stays awake more at night and as a result, also wants more frequent feedings that are about 1.5 hours apart. Of course, I'm still learning and adjusting to this little boy, but sometimes, you just feel like giving in and perhaps consider other options like feeding formula milk or expressing the breast milk for bottle feeding so that I don't have to physically latch him on. But on the other hand, I want to latch him on and it also helps in getting my breast milk supply going. I'm trying to keep to this total breastfeeding routine as much as possible for his first month at least, before assessing the situation again. The PD I saw this morning was also telling me that babies do go through this day-night reversal symptom, resulting in them sleeping a lot in the day and staying awake at night. It should slowly change with 2 to 3 weeks. I certainly hope so!! Also, his frequent feeds could partly be a pacifying latch on for him rather than a really hungry drink. But if I don't feed him, he will keep crying and he has his 'mouthing' action to indicate so. Gosh...it's quite tricky to handle and look after babies at night indeed!

Thanks for some encouragement there Tracy. I guess I will still try my best to 'jia you' for the sake of the baby....a mummy's sacrifice indeed....