Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, January 11, 2008

Kendrick has jaundice

We went for the first paediatric check-up this morning at Mt. Alvernia hospital. It was quite interesting as it was the first mini-outing for Dear and myself and Kendrick. He was pretty well-behaved in the car, but at the hospital, Kendrick ended up crying quite a bit. He was still hungry as it turned out. Anyway, they did a weight check and head circumference check, plus a blood test to check for jaundice. While waiting for the test results, I took the opportunity to breastfeed him. Then we had to see the doctor and was informed that his jaundice was a bit on the high side at 17.9. As such, the doctor recommended that Kendrick be admitted to hospital immediately for the ultraviolet light treatment. It was going to last 48 hours. I guess I was half-prepared to hear this, so quite at a loss of what to do.

We admitted him anyway and the nurse gave me the opportunity to breastfeed him one more time before we left. As I did this, somehow Kendrick was awake and he actually opened his eyes quite wide to look up at me for quite a bit. I was totally swooned by it...and to make things worse, it was also the first time I spotted a little smile that he suddenly showed out of the blue for a split second!! I cried there and then....I guess I was feeling a little overwhelmed by the fact that we would have to leave him there for 2 nights and that I can't really be there to breastfeed him all the time. It was quite necessary to add a bit of formula supplements unless I could actually pump out so much milk for him. After some time, we left Kendrick to go under the 'light' and went home. Along the way home, could not forget the scene about catching the small smile from my son. I never knew I could feel so touched by a little action like this and so was telling Dear about it.

In the evening, after our dinner, we took the chance to go back to the hospital to do a check on him and try to give him a breastfeeding. Unfortunately, he was way too sleepy and could not really keep awake to drink much. But at least he did suckle a bit. Probably too full from the 2 rounds of formula he had already taken. Nevertheless, seeing him again melted my heart. Suddenly he looked a bit different after not seeing him for a couple of hours. Haha... Well, we decided to go back there again tomorrow morning and probably again in the evening or late afternoon. Just praying that his jaundice level will go down quickly... can't wait to carry him in my arms again!